Pill tragedy: Doctor given warning after death of Newport woman Charlotte Foster, 23

A doctor has been given a warning after 23-year-old Newport woman died from taking the contraceptive pill.

Doctor Sunil Idicula Simon, was referred to the General Medical Council following the death of Charlotte Foster.

The oral hearing, held today, ruled that Dr Simon should be given a warning.

Miss Foster, of Trinity Mews, died on January 25 last year from a blood clot caused by taking the oral contraceptive pill Dianette.

The ruling said that on two ocassions - December 24, 2015, when he had a telephone conversation with the patient, and January 4 2016, in a face to face consultation - Doctor Simon failed to obtain an adequate history into 'Patient A' to find a link between the patient's symptoms and the contraceptive and to consider deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolus as possible diagnosis.

It said he failed to arrange investigations to eliminate or confirm deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolus.

He also failed to put together an adequate treatment plan for the patient stopping the medication and failed to make an adequate record of the two consultations.

It adds that on a second occasion, on January 4, he failed to conduct an adequate examination.

More on this story:

The ruling, published on the GMC website, says: "This conduct does not meet with the standards required of a doctor. It risks bringing the profession into disrepute and it must not be repeated.

"Whilst this failing in itself is not so serious as to require any restriction on Dr Simon’s registration, it is necessary in response to issue this formal warning.

"This warning will be published on the List of Registered Medical Practitioners (LRMP) for a period of five years and will be disclosed to any person enquiring about his 'fitness to practise' history.

"After five years, the warning will cease to be published on LRMP; however, it will be kept on record and disclosed to employers on request."

Doctor Simon was referred to the GMC by Shropshire coroner John Ellery following the inquest into Miss Foster's death.

The inquest heard that Miss Foster was displaying symptoms of a pulmonary embolism when she visited Dr Simon at Wellington Road Surgery, in Newport, on January 4.

She was suffering from difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, chest pain and lower back pain, which Dr Simon said was "muscular in origin" and recommended that she "get a massage" or have a spa day.

She later collapsed at work and was admitted to the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford on January 22 where she died three days later.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News