Council in talks over Telford A&E night closure plans
A meeting was being held today to discuss the potential overnight closure of Telford's Accident & Emergency unit.
Telford & Wrekin Council's Cabinet was meeting to discuss proposals put forward by the hospital trust to close the Princess Royal Hospital's A&E department overnight, if staffing pressures increase.
Council leader Shaun Davies has previously described the potential move as a "downgrade by the back door".
He has also called for Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt to intervene over the proposals.
Both the ruling Labour party and Conservative party have also put forward notices for an emergency meeting to be held later this month over the proposals, with Conservative leader, Councillor Andrew Eade saying that proposals to close the A&E unit in any shape or form is "wholly unacceptable". But they have been called to meet with the speaker of the council to look to agree on a sole motion before the meeting goes ahead.
A protest march against the proposals will also be held on April 23.
Hospital bosses have said that the overnight closure would be a last resort and would only happen if staff shortages deemed it necessary.
A meeting of the hospital's trust board said the location of the county's trauma unit would make it "difficult to close" Shrewsbury's A&E overnight, making Telford the only option.
The meeting was being held at Addenbrooke House, Ironmasters Way, in Telford, at 5pm.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.