Technical issue resolved in Telford as parents find out which school their child will attend

Parents across Shropshire have been told which school their child will be attending, although some had to wait for the news after initial technical difficulties.

Monday is National Offer Day, the day that youngsters up and down the country learn which secondary school they will attend for the upcoming academic year.

However Telford & Wrekin Council said it was aware some parents and carers had not received an email confirming which secondary school their child had been placed in.

The authority said its school admissions team had investigated and resolved the issue and that those affected would receive an email by the end of the day.

Meanwhile, Shropshire Council announced that more pupils than last year had been offered their first preference school.

A total of 91.4 per cent of pupils in Shropshire Council's area were placed in their first choice school.

In Telford, 79.8 per cent received their first choice, but some parents reported that they were still awaiting an email to find out where their child had been placed in the morning.

A spokesman from Telford & Wrekin Council said: "We've had some technical issues with people receiving the email.

"We believe these have now been resolved and you should receive your email over the next few hours.

"Thank you for your patience and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused."

Telford & Wrekin Council said the 2,222 applications received on time was a record high and that every applicant was offered a school place.

In total, 94.8 per cent were offered a place at one of their preferred schools, with the remaining 5.2 per cent offered alternative places.

Of those, 1,773 received their first preference, 244 or 11 per cent received their second preference and 63 or three per cent their third preference.

In Shropshire Council's area, 2,897 applications were made, 2,648 of which received their first choice.

A total of 3.6 per cent received their second choice and 1.3 per cent were offered their third.

Karen Bradshaw, Shropshire Council's executive director of children's services, said: "At this stage in the 2021 admissions process, Shropshire is delighted that a high percentage of pupils, even more than last year, have been offered their first preference school.

"We have always met a high percentage of first preference requests and been ranked among the top three West Midlands local authorities.

"Parents are invited to submit three preferences, and over 96 per cent of Shropshire parents have been offered a place at one of their preferred schools."

Councillor Shirley Reynolds, Telford & Wrekin Council's cabinet member for children, young people, education and lifelong learning, said: "The number of applications we’re receiving each year is increasing, and we’re working with our schools to meet demand and parental preferences where possible.

“We’re continuing to provide more places through our commitment to expand secondary schools within the borough and have made sure that, once again, no one who applies on time is without a place.

“We’ve also been able to offer nearly 95 per cent of applicants one of their preferences.

"Putting down only one school doesn’t increase your chances of getting in there.

"Sadly it may increase your chances of disappointment. We strongly recommend that all families contact their local schools to discuss viewing arrangements and then use all four preferences on their application form.”

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News