Shrewsbury teacher hurt after being scalded

By Lucy Todman | Shrewsbury | Education | Published:

A teacher at a Shrewsbury private school had to undergo emergency hospital treatment after a pupil threw boiling water in her face.

The incident took place last week at Cruckton Hall School.

The young woman was taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, where she was treated for her burns.

The school, on the outskirts of Shrewsbury, specialises in teaching children with challenging behaviour, including complex conditions like Asperger’s syndrome, autism and hyper activity.

Cruckton Hall, which charges more than £90,000 per year for day pupils, was visited by Ofsted inspectors last year who rated it as good.

The school says there was an incident in which a member of staff was injured, but that it was contained and dealt with promptly.

A spokesman for the school said: “At Cruckton Hall our top priority is ensuring the safety of all the children and young people we care for, as well as our excellent staff.


“Last week a trained member of staff was scalded with hot water by one of our pupils.


“This was dealt with immediately, with appropriate first aid provided, and the staff member is now recuperating with support from the school.”

The spokesman said the school has “rigorous safety procedures” and because of the challenging nature of some pupils’ behaviour all staff are given specialist training.

He added: “The children and young people we work with have highly complex needs and associated challenging behaviours.

“We provide our staff with thorough and robust training to ensure they are fully equipped to manage the pupils’ needs.

“This means we are able to provide a high quality, safe environment for all pupils and staff.

“This is so that all the children and young people we work with can have the support they need to lead happy and fulfilling lives.”

Lucy Todman

By Lucy Todman

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star and Shrewsbury Chronicle based in Shrewsbury.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News