Everything we know after three people are stabbed in weekend of violence in Telford

Residents in Telford have been stunned after three people were stabbed in a weekend, including one which left a man dead and another charged with his murder.

Police at Market Street, Wellington, on Saturday morning after the stabbing on Friday evening
Police at Market Street, Wellington, on Saturday morning after the stabbing on Friday evening

Two of the three violent incidents took place in Wellington and another in the nearby village of Admaston, in a dramatic and violent few days.

In total, three people were stabbed in separate incidents in less than 36 hours.

Police have stressed that the three incidents are all unrelated.

Here's what we know about the three stabbings so far.

First stabbing

What happened

On Friday night, a man was stabbed after a road smash outside Spiceland in Market Street, Wellington.

Police at the scene in Market Street Wellington after a stabbing on Friday night

It's understood that a white Audi was "rammed" into a bus by a Ford Mondeo at around 8pm, before the victim in the Audi was stabbed multiple times.

Police swarmed the scene, taping off Market Street and sending up a helicopter as they sought to catch the culprits.

West Mercia Police's Detective Inspector Richard Davies said they believed it was an isolated incident, but said people would "see an increased police presence on Market Street" while the investigation was carried out.

Has anyone been arrested?

Officers arrested four men, including 45-year-old Sagheer Khan of Bush Close, Wellington, who has been charged with unlawful wounding with intent. He appeared in Kidderminster Magistrates' Court on Monday where he was remanded in custody. He will next appear Shrewsbury Crown Court on July 18.

Three other men were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder, and have since been bailed pending further enquiries.

Second stabbing

What happened?

Police at the scene in Fowler Close, Wellington, where 52-year-old Mark Espley died on Saturday

The following morning, less than a mile away, police were called to Fowler Close where another man had been stabbed.

Police said they were called shortly before 11am on Saturday to reports of two men fighting in the back garden of a block of two-storey flats.

Officers performed CPR a 52-year-old man but he couldn't be saved and died at the scene.

West Mercia Police moved quickly to reassure residents after two violent incidents less than a mile apart in a little over 12 hours.

Speaking afterwards, Detective Inspector Lee Holehouse said: “I am mindful that there was a separate, unrelated, incident in Wellington last night and that these two incidents happening within 24 hours may, understandably, cause concern. Thorough investigations will be carried out for both and you will see an increased presence from police across the town for your reassurance."

On Sunday Fowler Close remained coned off and there was police tape outside one property and part of the green in the street.

The victim

On Monday the victim was named as Mark Espley.

Has anyone been arrested?

John William Walker, aged 64, has been charged with Mr Espley's murder. Walker, who lives in Fowler Close, appeared at Worcester Magistrates’ Court via video link on Monday, and was remanded to appear at Stafford Crown Court on Tuesday.

Third stabbing

What happened

The third stabbing in less than 36 hours took place at around 6am on Sunday when a man was attacked close to his home in Admaston, near Wellington.

Residents reported a heavy police presence in the area, with some saying the police helicopter was flying above before the victim was taken to hospital.

A West Mercia police spokesman said: "On attendance from police and ambulance services, the man was transported to hospital where he received medical treatment and remains in a stable condition."

Has anyone been arrested?

An attempted murder suspect has been arrested in Leeds.

West Mercia Police confirmed on Monday afternoon had been detained.

A spokesman said: "The 25-year-old man was arrested earlier today on suspicion of attempted murder and is now in custody awaiting questioning."

After the incident first happened, a spokesman said: "On attendance from police and ambulance services, the man was transported to hospital where he received medical treatment and remains in a stable condition."

The victim, a 31-year-old man, sustained serious injuries and was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, where he remains.

Police reassurance

Jamie Dunn, Superintendant for Telford and Wrekin, made a statement on Monday afternoon about the violent incidents.

He said: “We understand that the incidents around Telford at the weekend will have caused concern among local communities.

"We would like to reassure everyone that these incidents do not mean that there is any increased risk to the public.

"The incidents were separate and there is no known connection between those involved.

"In each case, officers provided an immediate and effective response. This led to several prompt arrests, reducing any ongoing risk.

"Enquiries are continuing and our work is constantly ongoing to ensure the Telford area is a safe, welcoming and happy place to live and work.

"Officers carry out regular, visible patrols across the area and work closely with community leaders to identify potential problems.

"Recent campaigns have seen hundreds of firearms and knives handed in – weapons that can no longer be used for criminal activity.

"We visit schools and local community centres to warn of the dangers of getting involved in crime and where people can turn to for help.

"And where crime does occur, we are well placed to deal with incidents quickly and thoroughly to keep the public safe.

"Anyone with any concerns is urged to please get in touch, we review all reports we receive.”

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Shropshire Star

UK & International News