Investigation under way after two paramedics stabbed during 999 call out

By Thomas Parkes | Crime | Published: | Last Updated:

A man has been arrested as part of the investigation.

Police cordon off the maisonette in Stephens Close, Wolverhampton, after two paramedics were stabbed. Image: @SnapperSK

An investigation is under way after two West Midlands Ambulance Service paramedics were stabbed in the chest during a 999 call out.

A man was arrested at the home yesterday by police officers who accompanied the medics on the "safe and well" check.

The attack happened at a maisonette in Wolverhampton at around lunchtime.

Police taped off Stephens Closes in the aftermath. Image: @SnapperSK

Paramedics and accompanying officers were called to Stephens Close in the Ashmore Park area of the city close to Wednesfield after concerns over the welfare of a man were raised.

However once at the home, at around 12.15pm, the paramedics were attacked and received serious injuries.

Police officers began cordoning off the road shortly after the stab attack. Image: @SnapperSK


The paramedics, a man and a woman, were treated before being taken to hospital where their condition is described as stable.

A 52-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of wounding at the scene and remained in custody yesterday for questioning.

Officers believe the man arrested at the scene was having a "mental health crisis" at the time of the attack and there was no further motive.

Police at the scene in Stephens Close, Ashmore, near Wednesfield. Image: @SnapperSK


Wayne Millard, aged 55, who lives nearby said: "I saw the ambulance come round with a police car and the paramedics borrowed a screwdriver off me to get the door open and let themselves in, shouting his name, which I believe is Martin.

"Next thing I knew, there was a blood curdling scream, a woman's scream, then they all came running out.

"The guy comes running out absolutely raging like I'd never seen before, because he's normally so quiet, with what looked like a knife in his hand."

He added: "He seemed like a quiet man and was civil whenever we spoke.

"The response from the police and ambulance was spot on and they were here so quickly. I was standing outside watching and within minutes, there were police and ambulance here."

WATCH: Ambulance service pay tribute to staff

Nathan Hudson, assistant chief ambulance officer for West Midlands Ambulance Service, said they received a call from the person's family over concerns the man was unwell.

He said: "We arrived on the scene within five minutes of the original call and therefore, with the police's assistance, we were able to gain entry to the property.

"While we gained entry to the property two of my staff members were assaulted – and therefore stabbed – in the chest area.

"At the time they [the patient] was quickly dealt with by police officers who were on scene. They were able to protect my staff and themselves by arresting and detaining the individual.

"I just want to say a really massive 'thank you', really, to my staff that attended the scene. You can only imagine really what this must have been like for them to see their colleagues in this particular situation.

"But they did an unbelievable job in very difficult circumstances, so thanks to my staff and the officers that attended and also the police which, without their help, I probably would've been telling you a very different story.

"They [the paramedics] are well, they are in Queen Elizabeth Hospital and they are doing well at this moment in time. They are stable."

Several police cars arrived at the scene shortly after 12.15pm today. Image: @SnapperSK

Superintendent Simon Inglis, from Wolverhampton Police, said: "We got the call around 12pm to support our paramedic colleagues.

"Upon arrival, entry was gained into the premises and as was mentioned, unfortunately both paramedics were immediately attacked by the occupant.

"They sustained those stab wounds. The police officers immediately engaged with that individual who was Tasered and brought under control and then arrested.

"He is currently in our police station. There were no further injuries, no further injuries to the gentleman and nobody else was in the property at the time.

"He is currently now helping us with our enquiries.

"It's too early to say in detail but it's believed the gentleman may have been suffering a mental health crisis at this time. There's no wider motive for the attack and no-one else in the community should feel any fear from this gentleman."

Stephens Close was closed off after two paramedics were stabbed during a house call on Monday afternoon. Image: @SnapperSK

Interactive map of the scene:

The maisonette was taped off by officers which had its front door removed and left propped against the home.

Three additional ambulances also attended the scene.

An investigation is underway as a man was arrested following the stab attack. Image: @SnapperSK
Thomas Parkes

By Thomas Parkes
Senior Reporter - @TParkes_Star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star, based in Wolverhampton. Got a story? Get in touch at

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News