Three arrested on suspicion of threats to kill after armed police deployed in Shrewsbury and Albrighton

By Rory Smith | Shrewsbury | Crime | Published:

Three people have been arrested on suspicion of making threats to kill after incidents involving bladed weapons in Shrewsbury and Albrighton.

Officers were deployed to Worcester Road, Shrewsbury, at about 4pm yesterday after reports that three men in possession of a sword and machete were causing a disturbance.

Two men, aged 39 and 37, were arrested on suspicion of making threats to kill and are currently in custody. Police are still trying to find a third suspect.

The firearms team then went straight to an incident at a business in Albrighton after reports that a man had made threats with a knife.

A 25-year-old man was arrested there on suspicion of making threats to kill.

No-one was injured in either incident.

Head of local policing for West Mercia Police, Chief Superintendent Tom Harding, oversaw the two incidents last night.


He said: “I know both of these incidents caused some disruption to local people in and around Worcester Road in Shrewsbury and in Albrighton yesterday afternoon and I would like to thank them for their patience and understanding. The support of the public is not something we ever take for granted and are extremely grateful for.


“I’d also like to thank the officers who attended for their prompt response which enabled us to deal with both incidents quickly without anyone being injured.

"Our utmost priority is always the safety of individuals and the wider public with officers from across West Mercia attending these incidents yesterday, which I hope demonstrates the flexibility and capability we have to be able to put our resources where they are needed, when they are needed to not just ensure public safety but keep disruption to our local communities to an absolute minimum.”

The force said the same policing team also dealt with two motorists in Telford who failed to stop, in what proved to be a busy shift for officers.

The driver of one vehicle was arrested while the other fled on foot in the area of Broseley.


Operational Patrol Unit Shropshire said on social media: "Team C armed deployment in Shrewsbury first thing, two in custody, then straight to second firearms job in Albrighton, one in custody.

"Two fail to stop in Telford, one caught by our RPOs but this driver got away on foot in Broseley."

Rory Smith

By Rory Smith
Reporter - @rorysmith_star

Senior reporter based at the Shropshire Star's head office in Ketley, Telford.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News