Alleged rapist 'attacked man near River Severn after threatening him in Shrewsbury nightclub'

By Deborah Hardiman | Shrewsbury | Crime | Published:

A night clubber who was allegedly sexually assaulted during a night out has told a jury the attacker behaved like he possessed "super-human strength".

A man was allegedly attacked under the Welsh Bridge then raped near the Boathouse pub

Ali Tchatou, 36, is accused of raping the victim after he met him in Fever, in Shrewsbury, on September 9 last year.

Giving evidence the victim told the jury he had a lot to drink prior to the incident and left the club with the defendant because he threatened him.

Mr Brendan Reedy, defending Tchatou, asked the victim if he could remember the content of text messages sent to his partner and a phone call to his mother following the alleged assault.

"I can't remember most of my evening during that night," he replied.

"It was like he had super-human strength. It was like he was possessed. It was all about the power he had over me."

Tchatou is said to have threatened his victim if he didn't leave Fever nightclub with him. Photo: Google

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told Shrewsbury Crown Court said he was unable to fight off the defendant.

Tchatou, a Spanish speaker of John Street in Shrewsbury, was assisted in court by translator. He denies the allegations.


Threat to harm family

Earlier in the trial, the court heard that the victim had been out with colleagues in the town centre before he went to Fever in Hill's Lane.

Cathlyn Orchard, prosecuting, said: “The defendant was also in the nightclub. The victim had lost his friends and the defendant spoke to him.

“During the conversation he told the victim to leave the club with him and made the threat that he would harm his family if he didn’t do as he told him.”


She told the court that the scared victim did leave the club followed by Tchatou, and they went underneath the Welsh Bridge. She said that once there Tchatou sexually assaulted him.


She went on: “A noise disturbed the defendant and he said he wanted them to move somewhere else.

“They went toward the Boathouse pub. The victim realised he was potentially going to be hurt and tried to make contact with his boyfriend and his mother.”

The victim’s mother received messages from him at about 3.20am asking for help and to get the police.

The court heard that Tchatou took him to a field near the Boathouse and raped him before leaving.

The court was told the victim's mother arrived in her car shortly after to find her son.

Police soon arrived, and days later Tchatou was identified on CCTV leaving the nightclub behind the victim.

He was arrested and claimed to police that he had consensual sex with the victim.

A jury was sworn in on Monday for the beginning of the trial, and they were shown footage of a police interview with the victim, who gave his account of that night.

The trial continues.

Deborah Hardiman

By Deborah Hardiman

Senior reporter for the Shropshire Star based out of the head office in Ketley. Covering the Telford area.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News