Advertising

Pet dog died after Telford pensioner placed antifreeze in his garden

Telford | News | Published:

A Telford pensioner left antifreeze with food in his garden resulting in the death of a neighbour's pet dog, a court heard.

The West Highland Terrier called Tyson died in agony four days after ingesting the chemical which was placed in a yogurt pot at the home in Telford.

Tests showed there was 65 times the survivable amount of antifreeze in his system, the town's magistrates heard.

The incident happened in Hopkins Heath, Shawbirch, after the pet went into the garden opposite his owners' home.

Mr Roger Price, prosecuting on behalf of the RSPCA, said: "Tyson ran over across the road into the garden of Edmund Dickens which is open fronted. His owner Andy Kelly says he saw Tyson rummaging in the front garden and the dog returned when Mr Kelly called him back.

Dickens placed the ham in a yogurt pot in his front garden. Photo : RSPCA

"Later Tyson soiled the carpet which was something he never did previously and seemed to be drinking a lot of water. The next morning Tyson would not take his food, started trembling and collapsed.

"At that stage the vet was called and he was taken to the practice. He was passing fluids and vomiting. The vet gave him medication because they suspected that he had ingested some kind of poison." Mr Price said the dog was put to sleep two days later.

Mr Jonathan Mason, mitigating, said Dicken, 78, was "remorseful and bitterly regretted" his actions.

Advertising

Dickens admitted causing unnecessary suffering to a dog between August 11 and 14. He was fined £140, ordered to pay £300 costs, £453 compensation and £30 victims' surcharge. He was also banned from owning or keeping animals for five years.

RSPCA inspector Kate Parker said: "Tyson suffered immensely in the last few days of his life. It took him four days to die, during which he would have numerous fits, one of which lasted three hours.

"This was incredibly difficult for his owners, who were left devastated.Dogs are curious animals and are naturally drawn to food on the floor, so it is no surprise that Tyson was attracted to this piece of ham.

"Sadly, antifreeze can cause so much suffering to the animal who ingested it. It is so important that we get the message out there that antifreeze is a very toxic substance which will cause terrible suffering."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News