Firefighters battle chimney fire for four hours
Firefighters battled for more than four hours to control a blaze which broke out in the chimney of a house near Shrewsbury.
Emergency services were called to the three-storey house in Shrawardine, near Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury at just after 6pm on Saturday night.
Three fire engines from Shrewsbury, including a rescue tender, went to the property and found that the fire, which had started in a chimney, had spread to the roof space timbers and joists.
Using jets, saws and cutter and thermal imaging equipment, firefighter battled from 6.16pm until after 11pm to ensure the flames were doused. Stabilising props were in use to hold up large beams in the property which had been weakened by the fire.
A Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "At 6.16 we received a call reporting a fire in chimney of 3 storey house which had spread to roof space timbers. Three fire appliances including the Rescue Tender were mobilised from Shrewsbury. Crews used covering jets, electric saws/cutters, hose reel jet, a short extension ladder, small gear and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the fire.
"One hose reel jet was used to extinguish and one covering jet was on standby. Crews were on scene for some considerable time as hotspots had been located in roof space and joists. An Akro prop was used to stabilise a large beam. A snake eye camera, thermal imaging camera and cutting away equipment were also in use."
Meanwhile, firefighters were also battling a chimney fire in Market Drayton.
Firefighters were called to a chimney fire at a property in Woodseaves at 10.16pm on Saturday.
One fire engine from Market Drayton attended the fire, which started in a flue on log burner. The log burner was dismantled and small gear and thermal imaging camera were used. The fire service left the property at just before midnight.