Tributes paid to Oswestry murder case victim Danny Jones

Oswestry | News | Published:

Tributes were today paid to the man who died after he was stabbed in a town centre street in Shropshire.

Victim Danny Jones

A murder inquiry is under way following the death of 21-year-old trainee accountant Danny Jones who was fatally injured during an attack in Lord Street next to the Oak Street car park in Oswestry at about 8.10pm on Wednesday.

He was taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital by ambulance but doctors were unable to save him and he was pronounced dead a short time later.

An 18-year-old man was arrested in the early hours of yesterday morning on suspicion of murder. He remained in police custody today, and inquiries are continuing.

Detective Inspector Steve Tonks, who is leading the murder investigation, said today the weapon used in the attack was still outstanding.

"Searches are continuing in the Oswestry area for the weapon used, which at this time is believed to be a knife," he said.

"Part of the car park remains cordoned off while those searches take place, along with a nearby address."

Police at Lord Street, next to Oak Street Car Park

He said the suspect was arrested in the Llansilin area, just across the border in Powys, at about 3am yesterday.


"Clearly there are several hours between the victim being injured and the suspect being arrested and I am keen to trace his movements during that time," said DI Tonks.

One half of the car park has now been reopened.

Several friends of Mr Jones, from Chirk, took to Twitter and Facebook to express their condolences to his family.

Bosses at Oswestry firm Woodhead Consulting said Mr Jones had been working for them for just three weeks.


In a statement the firm said: "Danny had been working with us for about three weeks and had been due to start his apprenticeship in September.

"He was a lovely lad, eager and keen to work.

"We were very pleased with him as a member of the team and everyone here is very sad and very shocked.

"All our thoughts are with his family."

Witnesses should call police on 101.

Mr Jones' family today released a photograph of him but did not wish to make any further comment at this time.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top stories


More from Shropshire Star

UK & International News