Advertising

Heater is blamed for Telford house blaze

Telford | News | Published:

A fire which ripped through a house in Telford was caused by an electric heater, fire investigators said today.

A fire which ripped through a house in Telford was caused by an electric heater, fire investigators said today.

A family of five – including a six-week-old baby boy – managed to escape from the semi-detached house in Teal Close, near Brookside, yesterday. They remained in hospital this morning.

The family – named locally as Rebecca Coffey, her partner Ian, and children, Chloe, six, Charlie, five, and baby Finley – are all in a stable condition.

Dave Bishton, a fire investigation officer with Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "I believe that the cause of the fire is as a result of a portable halogen heater which was left near to ignitable items."

The fire tore through the ground floor where the woman's partner, who had been asleep downstairs, made a desperate bid to get upstairs to his family before being forced to escape through a kitchen window.

Eyewitnesses said they saw the young mother lower her children out of the window. She then jumped herself, breaking her leg.

See also:

  • Family flees Telford house blaze

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top stories

Advertising

More from Shropshire Star

Advertising

UK & International News