More than 10,000 readers cast their vote in the Shropshire Star's inaugural Tourism & Leisure Awards . . . and the champions are now revealed.
The big winners included The Buttermarket in Shrewsbury, RAF Cosford Airshow, Carding Mill Valley, Arthur’s at Fordhall near Market Drayton, and Hobson's Brewery in Cleobury Mortimer, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary.
Other winners came from across the county, including areas around Bishop's Castle, Pontesbury, Little Wenlock, Wellington, and Weston-under-Redcastle.
And the Outstanding Achievement Award presented by the Shropshire Star went to Katie Foster.
The Shropshire Star launched the awards earlier this year as a platform to showcase best practice across the tourism and leisure sectors. It joined forces with headline sponsor Telford College of Arts and Technology , the local authorities, Global Freight, Lilleshall National Sports & Conferencing Centre, and 15 other category sponsors.
James Berresford, chief executive of national tourism agency VisitEngland, was guest of honour. He said: “Tourism is one of the few growth industries in this country, so I am delighted that the newspaper, and the county, have taken the bull by the horns.
"There is wonderful history and heritage in Shropshire, wonderful countryside, wonderful attractions, and beautiful hotels and restaurants.”
The winners in the Leisure section are:
Best Day Out sponsored by Midland Game & Country Fair
- Carding Mill Valley and The Long Mynd, Church Stretton
Best Cafe/Tea Room sponsored by Nick Jones Wealth Manager
- Arthur’s at Fordhall, Market Drayton
Best Pub Grub sponsored by QA Ironbridge Limited
- The Huntsman of Little Wenlock
Best Night Out sponsored by Hobs and Hotplates of Shrewsbury
- The Buttermarket, Shrewsbury
Best Posh Nosh sponsored by Shrewsbury College of Arts & Technology
- The Hundred House Hotel, Norton
Pub of the Year sponsored by The Wood Brewery
- The Mytton Arms, Habberley
The winners in the Tourism section are:
Bed & Breakfast/Guest Accommodation of the Year sponsored by Oswestry Show
- The Limes, Wellington - WINNER
- Grove Farm House B&B, Shrewsbury – RUNNER-UP
Business Tourism Award sponsored by Shropshire Chamber of Commerce & Enterprise
- Royal Air Force Museum Cosford - WINNER
Large Hotel of the Year (over 35 bedrooms) sponsored by Technical Services
- Premier Inn Shrewsbury Town Centre - WINNER
- Park Inn by Radisson Telford – RUNNER-UP
Large Visitor Attraction of the Year (more than 50,000 visitors per annum) sponsored by Park Inn by Radisson Telford
- Attingham Park, Shrewsbury - WINNER
- Ironbridge Gorge Museums, Coalbrookdale- RUNNER-UP
Self Catering Holiday Provider of the Year sponsored by D&G Stone
- Coalport Station Holidays, Coalport - WINNER
- The Shooting Folly, Market Drayton – RUNNER-UP
Small Hotel of the Year (35 bedrooms or under) sponsored by Heaven Health
- The Castle Hotel, Bishop’s Castle - WINNER
- The Lion + Pheasant Hotel, Shrewsbury – RUNNER-UP
Small Visitor Attraction of the Year (less than 50,000 visitors per annum) sponsored by RAF Museum Cosford
- Hawkstone Park Follies, Weston under Redcastle - WINNER
- Land of Lost Content Museum, Craven Arms – RUNNER-UP
Taste of Shropshire sponsored by Premier Inn
- Hobsons Brewery, Cleobury Mortimer - WINNER
- Ludlow Food Centre, Ludlow – RUNNER-UP
Tourism Event of the Year sponsored by The Shrewsbury Club
- RAF Cosford Air Show - WINNER
- Shrewsbury Folk Festival – RUNNER-UP