Three women had a lucky escape after a fusebox caught fire sending smoke billowing through their house in Telford. They were alerted to the danger by a smoke alarm.
The women and their dog were woken up by the alarm sounding shortly before 1.30am when the fire started at their home in Bournbrook Gardens, Stirchley.
Tim Hughes, for Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, said that the smoke alarm had saved the women from serious injury or even death.
“Had the smoke detector not been fitted it could have been a very different story,” he said.
“En route we could see smoke coming from the area. When we arrived there was smoke coming from the ground floor of the semi-detached house.
“When we got closer there were three women and a dog who had made their own escape after the fire alarm had activated.”
Mr Hughes said two appliances were sent to deal with the blaze, which damaged the hall of the house and caused smoke damage to the rest of the property.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were sent into the house where they put out the fire using a dry powder extinguisher and a hose reel jet.
“Once the fire was out we used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the house, but there was too much damage for the women to stay there.
“They stayed with a relative for the night,” Mr Hughes said.