Michael Warham murder trial: No CCTV footage of stabbing, court told

Jurors in a murder trial were shown CCTV footage of two groups of young men milling about in Shrewsbury on the afternoon and evening of an attack which left a teenager fighting for his life.

The scene of the tragedy in Wayford Close
The scene of the tragedy in Wayford Close

The footage, shown on the fifth day of the trial being held at Stafford Crown Court, included shots of the ambulance arriving to administer emergency first aid to 16-year-old Michael Warham from the Bootle area of Merseyside.

It is claimed that 19-year-old Declan Graves of Dymchurch Road, Liverpool stabbed Mr Warham in the chest and abdomen following a street attack on the evening of August 1, 2016. The teenager, who was due to become a father, died on August 4 from his wounds.

Graves, who appeared in court dressed in a grey shirt and tie and black trousers, denies the charge of murder.

PC Natalie Ryan explained to Judge John Wait, who is presiding the case, that she had spent at least three and a half days a week for four months pouring over CCTV footage gathered from a number of cameras on the Meole Brace estate and nearby retail park in Shrewsbury.

Miss Rachel Brand, prosecuting, explained to jurors that the CCTV footage showed Graves in the company of a group of men outside the Digital Den on Maesbrook Road on the afternoon of August 1.

Later that afternoon the men were picked up on cameras on Moneybrook Way, Stapleton Road, and on the nearby retail park where they bought food from McDonalds.

PC Ryan said that she had been able to identify a number of the young men from their clothing, gait, build and running style.

From this she was able to plot their routes around the estate in the hours leading up to the stabbing, which took place at around 9.30pm.

Although there was no footage of the stabbing, cameras in Wayford Close filmed a group of up to six men “milling about” and running up and down the road.

In the minutes after the stabbing three of the men were filmed approaching the ambulance and then running away in the direction of the retail park. Minutes later one man was filmed clutching his chest and thumping his heart as he entered McDonalds.

There was no CCTV footage of Graves either in the minutes before the attack or in its aftermath.

The trial continues.

Here is how day five unfolded.

Subscribe to our Newsletter