Telford family flees as dishwasher sparks kitchen blaze

A couple were rescued from the upstairs of their Telford home today after a fire started in the kitchen.

The scene of the fire today
The scene of the fire today

A couple were rescued from the upstairs of their Telford home today after a fire started in the kitchen.

Firefighters help the man and woman escape from the bedroom of their home in Stirchley.

A dishwasher in the detached house in Buttercup Close caught fire just after midnight spreading throughout the downstairs of the property.

The couple, who have not been named, were alerted after smoke alarms went off. They escaped injury but were treated for smoke inhalation.

Matt Lamb, watch manager at Telford fire station, said: “We pitched the ladder to the small porch roof just below the window and we guided the people down. Once we’d entered the building it took 10 minutes to put the fire out.

“The fire was in the kitchen. It was started by the dishwasher. Electrical appliances can be one of the causes of fire. Dishwashers have heating elements and can overheat.”

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Try our beta site!

We’re getting ready to launch our brand new website for shropshirestar.com and we’d like to give you a sneak preview.

We’re still applying the finishing touches, so please bear with us if something’s not quite right.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad, via the simple feedback button that you'll see to the right side of every page.

Try the beta