Newport's old market unearthed during paving works

The history of Newport has been coming to light thanks to workmen who are digging up and relaying the town's streets for improvement work.

The history of Newport has been coming to light thanks to workmen who are digging up and relaying the town's streets as part of £1.5m regeneration works.

Archaeologists were drafted in to examine parts of the High Street and have uncovered the remains of the town's old market hall, which dates to 1850.

Work is now being carried out with the supervision of English Heritage and an archaeologist on site to ensure the foundations are properly protected when they are covered over again.

Designs for the Butter Cross paving will be amended so the foundations' outline is traced in a different type of paving.

More detailed research by the archaeological team will be carried out into the setting of the cross, the chronological development of the site, the original surfaces, the butter market building and the adjacent cottages to help with the production of a full archaeological report.

Councillor Eric Carter, council cabinet member for regeneration, said: "This is an exciting historic discovery for the town."

Comments for: "Newport's old market unearthed during paving works"

Vamperic

Err we already knew about the market hall as there are pictures and descriptions of it in the archives.

Please replace the cobbles, they have much more charactor that a chalk line around the remains of a long dead market hall that has not been standing in living memory.